Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Orange Dream: In a Cake.

Before work yesterday, I wanted a different kind of breakfast. Something with oranges. Like orange cake.



So, I juiced 3 oranges and started making this orange cake from cooks.com.

1 cup sugar
1 whole egg
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup vegetable or peanut oil
1 3/4 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon grated orange rind (seen below!)



1. Mix ingredients in the order given.

2. Bake at 350 until toothpick comes out clean! (This took about 15 minutes in my oven to make a very very well done cake... I should have taken it out earlier.)



We all know I like an easy recipe. This one is really simple... and gooooooddddd. It has a citrus-ey taste, so citrus-ey that some people couldn't tell if it was lemon or orange. Good news is - the dress was a total hit! When I took the extra to work, they ate it up within the hour!

Don't worry. I'll make more...

Oh! The frosting - it's an afterthought really. I used a "buttercream" recipe from www.cdkitchen.com:

1/4 cup shortening
2 cups powdered sugar
1 dash of salt
3 tablespoons milk, cream or water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
3 drops butter flavoring (I didn't use this because I didn't have any at home on hand.)

1. Mix all together in electric mixer - let sit for a little - then spread on cooled cakes.



I think the frosting was a little tooooo sweet. This could be due to the 2 cups of powdered sugar... and not much else. I like the use of shortening though. It gives it a really smooth consistency - something that real buttercream frosting hasn't given me yet.

Yum!

The finished product!

1 comment:

  1. FYI. No such things as 'too sweet.' You remember these wise words from Auntie Beth, 'kay? Bake on!

    ReplyDelete