Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A different bake: Cornbread

It was really wet and just raining a TON yesterday (I think that's an understatement). So, what better day to make cornbread and chili! I haven't done this in a while, but here's the just of it.

I made chili in a pot:


Then I used Alton Brown's Creamed Corn Cornbread recipe:
* 2 cups yellow cornmeal
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 cup buttermilk
* 2 eggs
* 1 cup creamed corn
* 2 tablespoons canola oil (I used vegetable oil)

I had to stop by Randall's to get some of the ingredients... sadly at this visit I learned they were closing down on my side of town. Must not get enough business. *sad face*

1. I put dry ingredients together and mixed.

2. Then I mixed all my wet ingredients together.

3. Then I slowly added my wet into they dry ingredients.

4. Alton wanted me to use a heavy duty iron pan for this... which I don't have. So I used one of my cake pans and followed his directions. I put my pan in the oven to heat up before I used it. Before I poured my batter into the very hot hot pan I covered it in veggie oil.

5. Baked at 425F for 20 minutes to yield a completely cooked cornbread!



It wasn't as sweet as I hoped it would be, but it was a nice consistency - not dry, not super fluffy, and not super salty. AND it tasted good with the chili. Yum. We ate all the chili, no I have to figure out what to do with the rest of the cornbread...

No comments:

Post a Comment