Monday, August 30, 2010

THE BEST Chocolate Cake. No joke.

I've been having the darnedest time trying to find a chocolate cake that I actually want other people to eat. Trying to find a chocolate cake I actually want to eat. THIS IS IT. It is moist. It is chocolate-y. It is soft. It is dark. I don't think I have any problem with this cake. It is my favorite and I will use it forever and ever. I've even bought it a best friend necklace (hope no-one chokes on it trying to steal it).

This is where I got the recipe from (kudos to them): http://inncuisine.com/decadent-desserts/have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too-recipe-deep-dark-chocolate-cake/

Heavenly ingredients:
2 cups granulated sugar
1 & 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (I was going to use cake flour, but I decided to follow the recipe on this one.)
3/4 cups Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa
1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable (veggie) oil or canola
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup boiling water

1. Mix together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in the handy dandy electric mixer.
2. Added eggs, milk, oil and vanilla (tried to do this all at once, but the oil being so anti-social it didn't work out too well)
3. Mix until mixed :)
4. Stir in boiling water - this created a super thin batter at which point I decided that I'll never be able to make a good cake and that this could not possibly work... but it did!
5. Put into prepared pans (used veggie oil and flour - and the cakes still suck to the bottom of the pan... maybe this is just an unavoidable kind of thing)
6. Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes in my oven (gas oven). The recipe recommended 35-40 minutes, but I knew that was charring levels - and I was NOT about to char my cake.

Leveling the cake off with the wire leveler:



The result was amazing. I did not expect this at all. I think it has something to do with the boiling water with the baking soda and powder. It's so fluffy and cake-like. I can't say better things about this recipe. I highly doubt I'll be making many other chocolate cakes that this one. Well, that's not true, but I'm going to have to make really impressive cakes to trump this one. Hard to beat.

I used the "Quick Vanilla Buttercream Frosting" (because I have so much of it to get rid of) to cover both cakes and put in the freezer to set. I'm going to make a trial run of a s'mores cake to see if I like it and see how it holds up.



After the cakes were done freezing I put a pint of vanilla ice cream on top of one:



-- I also added Hershey's chocolate syrup (lite), graham crackers (low fat), and marshmallows:



Then put the top layer and put it in the freezer to set:



When everything was frozen, I did one more coat of buttercream frosting and put a chocolate ganache on top:



Then I decorated the outside with marshmallow fluff, marshmallows, and broken graham crackers.



I cut a slice.



Then I ate it. :)

1 comment:

  1. SWEET Jesus. There is a Goddess and She is Winnie. Winnie of the Chocolate S'mores Cake and all that is Good. She bringeth to her brethern hope, light and love, for she bringeth us Cake.

    ReplyDelete