Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Groom's Cake: All 23 Flavors


My friend Xavier loves Dr. Pepper.  He also loves the Baltimore Ravens.  He recently got married (he also loves Michelle) - so the logical groom's cake is of course a Dr. Pepper cake in the shape of a Baltimore Ravens logo.  Viola!

I was much less ambitious than I normally am - opting for pre-made fondant and a simple recipie that I found online.

Cake:
German Chocolate Cake mix (any will do)
Vanilla instant pudding, small box (if my memory serves me right 3.4 oz)
2/3 C. vegetable oil
4 eggs
12 oz. Dr. Pepper
1 t. vanilla

I cooked this at 325F (in advance) - to keep it from making a dome shape.  Froze all six 9"x13" layers in the freezer until needed. (Every time I went to the freezer to grab some ice cream, these layers were a constant reminder of me making a grooms cake - something I had never done until now! eek!)

Frosting:
8oz. cream cheese
1 lb. powdered sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1 stick butter
1 t. vanilla

I whipped these all together in my handy dandy mixer (can't imagine doing this by hand) - it makes it super fluffy.

Using homemade stencils, paintbrushes, vodka (for painting - not palliation), powdered food coloring, and gel food coloring, and 20 hours of work later, you have the above picture. 

The bride and groom were happy - that's all I really wanted in the first place.  Congrats again you two!

No comments:

Post a Comment